Hi, My name is Gabby! My friends call me Gabs, so you can too.
I was a sad homeless dog found by Pender County Animal Control in April 2012. One look at me told everyone about the rough life I’ve had. I was underweight and sick, my tail has been chopped off and it was clear that I have been overbred and neglected. I was such a sad girl. The people who found me understood why I was so sad: I was full of milk but there were no babies to be found. 🙁
I was so sick, many didn’t think I would make it out of the shelter alive, but Promoting Animal Welfare in NC saw that I just needed a lots of medical care and TLC to bring out the beautiful girl that I really am. And that’s exactly what they did: The day before I was to be euthanized, they sprung me out of the shelter!
After a short stay in the hospital, I went to my wonderful foster home where I regained my strength, got my fur back, fought many infections, and put on a some weight. The infections in my teats were so bad I just couldn’t fight those any more, so I had to have a radical mastectomy to be rid of those infections. But after that surgery along with my spay surgery…
I went from 43 to 67 lbs, and I’m a big athletic Staffordshire Terrier Mix who loves to snuggle and hang out where ever you are. Here’s a quick list of my fabulousness:
- I love walks, eating grass, and collecting stuffed animals
- I walk well on a leash unless I get really excited, but I’m eager to please you, so I’ll slow down
- I’m crate-trained and potty-trained
- Since I used to live outside, I need to go out on a schedule at night when you’re home because I’m excited, but I can go all day with no accidents
- I was pretty beat up when I was found, so I’m a little anxious around other dogs, but get along well with slow introductions
- I would do well with kids who were old enough to not fall over if a big girl bumped into them, because I’m a leaner!
- I’m hoping to be an only dog, or I don’t mind living with another dog who will let me be the boss, preferably a handsome boy 🙂
I have lived with my foster family since I was rescued of May of 2012, spending a lot of time healing and learning to trust and what it feels like for a human to love me. I have a crazy tripod boxer sister, Laila Ali, that I love to wrestle with — and I always let her win, because I’m sweet like that. I’m not really fond of cats, they look kinda sneaky and I try to run them off.
I was heart worm positive, but I’ve completed treatment and the heartworms are all gone! Now that I’m a healthy girl, I’m ready to move on and find a family of my own. Oh did I mention who much I love a man or woman in uniform? ::batting eyelashes::
Editor’s Note: On October 28, 2014, Gabby got ADOPTED! From her foster mom, Kim: “Forever Kreem, her days of hanging from a catch pole near death, ancient history. You’ll never met a more grateful and loving girl. Thanks to Shelley (Promoting Animal Welfare in NC) for saving her and Rescue Ur Forever Friend (RUFF) for allowing me to epically foster fail to forever home.” Oh, you read that right: Her foster family adopted her!!
Gabby is now offcially “Gabrielle Eloise Milburn Kreem” and we KNEW from the beginning she was in the right home. (Well, it is a multiple-“Monsters” home so we were secretly hoping for this update. 🙂 ) Thank you, Kim & Andy, for making this lucky girl’s day!!!
Photos by Suzie Wolf Photography